- product_inactive: false
- substituted: false
- discontinued: true
- discontinued_by: EmpDisc 25
Added to your cart!
Smart Pot 20 gal. Tomato & Melon Black Grower x 1
Smart Pot helps you grow more in less space, with the porous material on this 15-1/2-inch tall planter perfect for tomatoes, melons and more.
Grow more in less space with the 20-gallon Tomato and Melon Grower from Smart Pot. This portable plant bed is made from a durable, porous material that vents heat, drains easily and promotes air pruning, for superior plants year after year. Air pruning occurs when a root comes in contact with the air on the side of a Smart Pot. The root tip stops growing and instead begins growing smaller side-roots. This fibrous root structure takes in more moisture and nutrients allowing your plants to grow faster and stronger. This is the opposite of what happens in a plastic container where a few thick roots circles the pot until it constricts itself. The 15-1/2-inch tall planter allows you to pocket plant on the sides for additional space efficiency.
- Porous Material: Enables the planter to vent heat and drain water, while still being durable
- Air Pruning: Produces healthier roots that will absorb moisture and nutrients more efficiently allowing plants to grow faster and stronger
- Pocket Plant: Side-planting for increased space efficiency
- Portable: great for urban gardens and easy location changes through the season
- 20-gallon size great for: Tomatoes, Musk Melons, Watermelons, Pumpkins, Sweet Potatoes, Winter Squash, Acorn, Butternut, Hubbard
Q. Why does my Smart Pot look like it has mold or mildew?
A. Most likely what you are seeing is salt and minerals that build up over time from the nutrients and/or water being used in the Smart Pots. Salt and minerals can cause a ‘mildew’ appearance to your Smart Pot but it’s nothing to be concerned about. You can lightly scrub the sides of the Smart Pot while they are being used if you want to break up the salt and mineral build up. Some people wash their Smart Pots after the growing season to get rid of the salt and mineral build up. Washing Smart Pots will increase the longevity of the pot itself but over time it will always make the fabric feel less ridged.
Q. How is the Smart Pot better for sun, snow and harsh weather?
A. Unlike a plastic pot, the fabric will not crack or break from frost or when dropped. Heat release gives you better control of slow release fertilizer. A fibrous root structure has fewer problems in cold or warm weather.
Q. What potting mix is best?
A. Gardeners are using virtually every potting mix in the Smart Pot. Because the Smart Pot aerates, heavier mixes can be used. Smart Pots filled with lighter mixes that are less water retentive may need to be watered more often.
Q. Are Smart Pots compostable at the end of their life?
A. Smart Pots are not designed to be composted nor do they biodegrade. The fabric can be recycled in the same way clothing is recycled but there are many ways to repurpose Smart Pots.
Here are a few ideas for you:
- Use the fabric as a weed blocker on the ground
- Cut the fabric in circles to place around potted plants to prevent unwanted weeds from growing. You can sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth or Sluggo Plus on the fabric to control pests naturally.
- Save water by cutting the fabric and placing around plants. This will reduce the amount of evaporation on the soil surface and keep the root zone cooler.
- Since the fabric is BPA & Lead Free, you don’t have to worry about heavy metals leaching into the soil.